Obesity is an Epidemic
- “Globally, the leading cause of morbidity and mortality is now chronic non-communicable diseases, closely associated with the obesity epidemic, and the widespread adoption of unhealthy diets and behaviors.”
- “Obesity affects 19% of children and 42% of adults, putting people at risk for chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and some cancers. Over a quarter of all Americans 17 to 24 years old are too heavy to join the military."
The Cost of Obesity
- In 2017, the total estimated cost of those diagnosed with diabetes was $327 billion in medical costs and lost productivity.
- More than 34.2 million Americans have diabetes.
- 88 million adults in the United States have a condition called prediabetes which puts them at risk for type 2 diabetes.
- Diabetes causes progressive and serious complications, including heart disease, kidney failure, and blindness.
- Learn More